The logs of the Maltese Cross Cabin are the original ponderosa pine used in 1883. The original roof had been removed by 1900, and the ceiling and pitched-style roof were restored when the cabin was transferred to the park. It is thought the window frames and front door are original, although the latter shows evidence of damage and repair. Graffiti adorns much of the door and parts of the exterior, acquired during its many travels across the country. Considering the cabin's use and history, it is remarkable the building has been preserved. -nps.gov/thro
Theodore Roosevelt National Park, Maltese Cross Cabin.